Wednesday, June 11, 2008

3rd Goal

The Peace Corps has three goals,

1.) Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
2.) Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3.)Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

Since coming back to the US, I've been a bit slow on trying to work on goal three, but recently a friend of mine from college, Chris Hamilton, got the ball rolling for me. She is now an 8th grade teacher at Winnecunnet Middle School, in Hampton, NH. She invited me into her classes to talk about Zambia, and my experience there. It wound up being a really fun, interactive experience, and the kids seemed to enjoy the pictures, video etc. I was able to get a couple of them to dress up in traditional Zambian attire, and we even had a Zambian dance lesson.
Much to my surprise, Chris submitted a short article to the Hampton Union about the day, and you can read it here. Thanks alot Chris for a fun day, and for helping me accomplish the 3rd goal of Peace Corps. Good times indeed!

No comments: